Here's one new year's resolution you won't want to break: plan your getaway to Ocracoke
Twelve great reasons (besides the beach) to visit Ocracoke island in 2019
Everyone knows that Ocracoke's beaches are the best! Our 16 miles of pristine, undeveloped ocean beaches are, we admit, pretty spectacular, and the main reason visitors seek out Ocracoke. But you can't spend all your time with your toes in the sand. As you're making your vacation plans, consider visiting Ocracoke during one of our many events, festivals, and celebrations.
1. Ocracoke Waterfowl Festival - 4/20/19
The second annual Ocracoke Waterfowl Festival will follow-up on the success of the 2018 event sponsored by the OcracokeDecoy Carvers Guild., The Festival features an island carver, and brings decoy carvers and bird model artists from all over the region to Ocracoke to showcase their wares, demonstrate their techniques, and give presentations on the art of carving. The Festival includes delicious local foods and one-of-a-kind raffles.
2. Ocracoke Race Weekend - 4/27-4/28/19
The Ocracoke runfest weekend is a benefit for Ocracoke's Community Radio Station WOVV 90.1 FM, Ocracoke School Athletics Boosters Club, and the Ocracoke Community Park. Race opportunities include an official 5k, 10k, and Half-Marathon! An unofficial 1-Mile Family Fun Run gets the whole family involved! Get more information and sign up at runocracoke.com.
3. British Cemetery Ceremony - 5/10/19
This year will mark the 77th anniversary of the sinking of the HMT Bedfordshire off the North Carolina coast. Representatives from the British Royal Navy and Royal Canadian Navy will be in attendance, as well as members of the United States Coast Guard, family of the deceased sailors, and students from Ocracoke School among others. All are welcome to attend the ceremony and the luncheon that follows at the Ocracoke Community Center.
4. Ocracoke Volunteer Fireman's Ball - 5/25/19.
The annual Firemen’s Ball will be Saturday, May 25th this year. Fans can expect the same great BBQ, high-paced live auction, and no-fools-no-fun dance party that the organizers have delivered for the past ten years. Sponsors turn this fun party into a major fundraiser for OVFD. The all-volunteer, all-donations event typically raises around $65,000 in just one day for Ocracoke’s volunteer fire department. Headlining band The Dune Dogs returns each year to host this annual event on their favorite island!
5. Ocrafolk Festival - 6/7-6/9/19 The Ocrafolk Festivalis three days of music and storytelling that takes place every year on the first weekend in June. Enjoy live music, local food, artisans’ booths, and much more! Ocrafolk Festival is produced by the community non-profit, Ocracoke Alive, as fundraiser in support Ocracoke Student and Community Arts Programming. Now in its 20th year, Ocrafolk Festival is recognized throughout our region as an extraordinary event in a one-of-a kind setting.
6. WOVV Women's Arm Wrestling Tournament - 6/13/19
Ocracoke is a town that loves to dress up and put on a show. The Annual WOVV 90.1 FM Women’s Arm Wrestling Tournamentcontestants never disappoint with their costumes and wrestler personas, powerful biceps, and fierce determination.
7. July 4 Festivities - 7/3-7/5/19
Ocracoke celebrates Independence Day in style! There’s no lack of excitement on Ocracoke Island this Independence Day. The festivities kick off July 3, with the famous Ocracoke Square Dance and a fireworks show over beautiful Silver Lake. The fun continues July 4 with a full day of activities featuring a car show, Sand Sculpture Contest, a traditional hometown parade, a new scavenger hunt, and then back by popular demand—a Glow-in-the-Dark Laser Effects Show and Dance Party. Festivities conclude Thursday, July 5, with a Community Beach Fire finale.
8. Ocracoke Fig Festival - 8/16-8/17/19
Each August, Ocracoke's Fig Festival celebrates the island’s sweetest traditions: fig preserves, fig cakes, dancing, art, and fun!
9. Spring and Fall Island-Wide Yard Sales - 4/13/19 & 9/21/19 It’s no secret that there is treasure to be found on Ocracoke. Begin your hunt at the Ocracoke Island-Wide Yard Sales. Residents and businesses will have treasures on display around the village throughout the day. You can pick up a map highlighting participating locations at the Ocracoke Variety Store and the Little Visitor Center in Community Square.
10. Blackbeard's Pirate Jamboree - 10/24-10/27/19
The weekend activities include food, art, and craft vendor fairs, beer gardens, musicians performing seafaring tavern songs, sword fighting demonstrations, pirate magic shows and skits, and a living history encampment on the Berkley Manor grounds. These historically accurate camps teach about the 17th- and 18th-century maritime heritage, from navigation and cooking to shipboard medicine and hygiene. The main event takes place in Ocracoke’s Silver Lake harbor when three ships recreate Blackbeard and Lt. Robert Maynard’s battle (spoiler alert: Blackbeard always loses his head!) The Jamboree concludes with a memorial march to the beach at Springer’s Point on Sunday.
11. Festival Latino de Ocracoke - 11/9 – 11/11/19
The Festival Latino de Ocracoke celebrates our unique island community. Produced by the island non-profit, Ocracoke Alive, in partnership with Ocracoke's vibrant Latino community, this festival features music, ballet folklorico, dances, games, a basketball tournament, and more! Immerse yourself in the heritage and traditions of Ocracoke's Latino friends and neighbors. Also, there will be food. Amazing food. Come hungry! Proceeds from the Festival Latino benefit Ocracoke School and Ocracoke Alive arts programming.
12. Oyster Roast and Shrimp Boil - 12/28/19
This amazing annual party begins in the afternoon in the parking lot at the Ocracoke Seafood Company Fish House. Enjoy steamed oysters, steamed shrimp, fried drum or sheepshead sandwiches, Vince's homemade hush puppies, raffle items, and live music! Walk around the harbor for hot cider and homemade dessert around the woodstove at the Working Watermen's Exhibit, 3-6pm.